Newtown consists of:
Newtown which was originally named Quanneapague was in 1705 bought from the Pohtatuck Indians. In the year 1708, 36 Englishmen in Connecticut petitioned for a General Assembly and these men became the legally entitled “petition proprietors” to share and own the common land. This town became incorporated in the year 1711.
In the year 1709, planned designs for the properties and town roads were established. This plan involved a 40m wide North-South road now known as Main Street that was intersected by the Northern and Southern Cross Highway which is today known as Glover Avenue, Church Hill Road, and West Street. In 1710, 4 acre home lots were shared among the proprietors that at this stage included 48 men.It was at this stage that a 49th plot was reserved for a minister when they had decided to name one.
Te very first settlers in Newtown shared many similarities. These included that most were either in the late part of the 20s or the early part of their 30s and most came from Milford and Stratford. The move to this area made it possible to own more land to farm. The majority of the proprietors settled with families on these 4-acre plots in a compact village that was positioned closely to the Main Street.
The houses built were constructed in a Cape Cod or Saltbox cottage style and most were either 1 and a half or 2 stories in height. In the back part of these properties were small outbuildings, privies, and barns along with an orchard to the back part of the property. Later small gardens were established to grow herbs and vegetables.
Over and above the 4-acre plots designated for homes, land was also given out for grazing and planting purposes. In around 20 years just about each portion of land in the town was divided up among the proprietors.
For convenience purposes, the proprietors started moving out of the central-village to one of their larger portions of land. This resulted in proprietors who had land in proximity to one another would move together to decrease isolation issues. One of the very first of these settlements in outlying areas was an area named Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook and the Potatuck River provided a way for the setup of the grist and saw mills.
By the year 1760, Newtown had seven school districts that included two that were established in the actual village. Later in the year 1794, this figure increased to 20 school districts. By 1920,s all these districts became abolished, however, their names happened to survive and are still in use today for designating areas or neighborhoods of this town. Some of the names that survived include Head O’ Meadow, Lake George, Hattertown, and Dodgingtown.